Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 6, 2009

WARRIOR- CONNOR GERBER, CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA

Connor meeting his hero, captain of the South African cricket team, Graeme Smith
Connor and his gorgeous brothers Aiden and Ethan


Everyone, meet Connor , a handsome young fellow also from South Africa. I first made contact with his mommy Tania just before they were due to return home to South Africa after spending 16 months in New York getting treatment for their precious boy.


Here is a bit of Connor's inspiring story:

My name is Connor Gerber, a 8 year old from Cape Town, South Africa. I was diagnosed with stage IV Neuroblastoma in July 2005, a week after my 4th birthday. I have been treated at home in South Africa, and at Sloan-Kettering in New York, for the past 4 years, with my current status being stable refractory disease.

Background Story
After numerous visits to GP's and paediatricians due to persistant fevers and aches, which were always attributed to viral infections and growing pains, I was finally correctly diagnosed with stage IV Neuroblastoma. By this stage the primary tumour in my chest had metastasised to my bones and bone-marrow.
I was referred to the Red Cross Childrens' Hospital in Cape Town where, after a full work-up, I started the 7-round COJEC induction chemotherapy protocol comprising 4 cycles of Vincristine, Cisplatin, Etoposide & Cyclophosphamide and 3 cycles of Vincristine, Carboplatin, Etoposide & Cyclophosphamide. This protocol reduced some of the disease burden in my bones and bone-marrow, but did not shrink the primary tumour. I was accordingly deemed incurable and placed on palliative chemo of Doxorubicin & oral Cyclophosphamide - of which I had 6 cycles.
The recommendation to give-up my fight and allow the disease to slowly run it's course was something my parents and I were not willing to accept as I was feeling really strong and determined to defeat this beast. There were unfortunately no options available in South Africa to help me fight the disease and so, after extensive research, my parents decided the best place to go was Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre in New York. The team there reviewed my medical records and advised that they would be willing to help me continue my battle. Unfortunately this treatment is extremly expensive and our health insurance is not prepared to assist in any way. But, with the help of amazing family and friends, and the incredible support of my community, we were able to raise the funds required to pay the initial deposit and start treatment at MSK.
In May 2006 my mom, dad, brother Aidan and I packed-up our home and lives in South Africa and travelled to New York, where we lived for 16 months at the Ronald McDonald House. During my time at MSK I have had 2 rounds of high-dose chemo (Cyclophosphamide, Topotecan & Vincristine), the successful complete resection of my primary tumour, 1 more round of high-dose chemo (Cyclophosphamide, Irinotecan & Vincristine), 8 rounds of 3F8 Immunotherapy (6 with beta glucan & 2 times 10 dose-escalated with GMCSF), 10 rounds of radiotherapy to the primary tumour site in my chest and 15 rounds of radiotherapy to my skull mets.
The net result of this treatment is that my primary tumour has been "gone" since July 2006, my bone-marrow clear since September 2006, and the disease in my bones stable to moderately improved.
I am currently on the second-line chemo protocol of Irinotecan and Temodor and have had 12 cycles to date. My body is tolerating this treatment very well, which is a good thing as I have been HAMA positive since July 2007 and can't receive any more antibodies because of this.
The last 9 rounds of the chemo have been administered at home in South Africa, and I am really happy to be back with my friends and family - although I do miss the folks at Ronald McDonald and MSK.


Connor and his dad continue to go back to New york every few months for check up scans and further testing.


Unfortunately, their last trip revealed new disease which means Connor is in the fight again , and goes for chemotherapy and radiation at a hospital in Cape Town every few days. Please could you all lift Connor and his family Tania, Bruce, Aidan and Ethan up in prayer, asking for this new round of chemo to work and for support , strength , understanding, trust and faith in You Lord.
Go and visit brave Connor and his loving family at www.caringbridge/visit/connorgerber
Lots of love to you all from a sunny Pretoria, we think of you and pray for you every day Connor and family!

Photobucket